Tuesday, May 17, 2011
Firstly a very warm welcome to her Majesty the Queen. It is great to finally welcome you to Dublin.
I've been scrolling through the pages of today's newspapers and came across some interesting trivia about the Queen in the Belfast Telegraph.
Ten Queen facts:
1. She is a qualified car mechanic dating back to her wartime service in the Women's Royal Army Corp.
2. Her principal Lady-in-Waiting is Lady Farnham, widow of Co Cavan landowner Lord Farnham.
3. Her funeral procession is rehearsed once a year on the route from Buckingham Palatce to Westminster Abbey.
4. She has 200 racing pegeons ketp in a special loft in Norfolk.
5. She owns one-third of the swans on the Thames river between Blackfriars and Hendon.
6. The poor of Windsor recieve a cwt of coal each from her at Christmas.
7. Her handbag contains a collection of good luck charms given to her by her children, including minature dogs, horses and saddles - plus family snaps, the most treasured of which is is a photo of Prince Andrew on his safe return from the Falkands in 1982.
8. She has two birthdays: April 21, marking the anniversary of her birth in 1926; and the second Saturday in June, her official birthday, marked by the Trooping of the Colour.
9. She's Britain's biggest landowner with 250,000 acres of agricultural land and 15,000 acres of forest in England and Scotland. She also owns huge swatches of Kensinton, Victoria, Millbank and the City as well as half the country's forshore.
10. She owns the copyright of the King James Bible and gets royalties for its use.
So there you have it.